Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Invisible Man was the first book that I had some personal interest in. African American history is an interesting subject to me, and so reading about an intelligent black mans struggle through a horribly raciest era was a good read. While we were reading this book, I went to see Denzel Washingtons new movie the Great Debaters. There is a scene in the movie that reminded me of scenes in the book, and seeing it on the big screen got me extremely emotional. When the Invisible Man was called "boy" by so many white men, I almost read over it easily. When we talked about it in class it was brought to my attention to the seriousness of such a degrading phrase. Seeing it in the movie made me see just how the white men would treat the blacks. Although it was long, I actually enjoyed the fact that we the readers could get such a background about the main character. My favorite part of the book was the prologue, the language and his tone sucked me in after the first paragraph. I also liked to know where I was reading to, knowing that at some point in this book the main character was going to realise what was going on around him.

No comments: